Friday, August 5, 2011

That's right. Vodka.

Worst moment of the week:
I fell asleep Monday night at 10:30. I woke up Tuesday morning at 12:15 a.m. to my housemates blasting music. At approximately 2:45 a.m., Bryan The One Decent Housemate went downstairs and turned the music off. That's right, just turned it off. Because no one else was down there.

That's right.

The assholes turned the music on at full volume and then LEFT the house.


I didn't fall asleep again, so needless to say, I didn't go to class on Tuesday. This turned out to be a gift in disguise.

Best moment of the week:
Finding my motivation. 
I have been adamant about not missing any classes this quarter (more so than usual) because the content is so condensed that missing one day of class is the equivalent of missing several weeks of class during a normal school year. Nevertheless, without any sleep, I wasn't functional enough to even THINK about getting up, let alone surviving a day in class. So I stayed home. And was miserable. I was thinking about how horrible I have been doing in school since I began again in January, and how I had no idea why I would even consider getting a Ph.D.
While trying NOT to think about all of that, I began to think about other things. The main thing was my body. I have gotten so weak and out of shape that I am out of breath any time I walk up a flight of stairs and can't lift even relatively lightweight objects over my head. I decided that I wanted to go to the gym every other day to work on cardio, and then do yoga, pilates, or strength training on off days. I have set size goals for myself (not "weight" or "size" as in dress size, but as in, I'm going to take measurements of various parts of my body, and then I'm going to make them smaller/bigger, as needs be), and will obviously be including it in my regular updates in the future.


As I began to think about how great it would be to work out - not only to have stamina, but to have, for the first time ever, thighs that I wasn't embarrassed by - I suddenly found it. What I've been looking for for years! Even though my life this year has been infinitely better than it almost ever has, I have been struggling to find motivation. For the most part I have just been doing the best I can in order to survive, but with no excitement or hope for the future, and no direction. When I first began college in earnest back in the spring of 2007, I was the most motivated, driven, organized, and ferociously hardworking person I've ever met. I had goals and dreams and I was going to achieve them no matter what. I lost that all back in 2009, for personal reasons some of you might remember. 
Now, though, I am suddenly thinking about exercising daily, about studying hard, about having a planner (yes, the prospect of having a small organizational object is exciting!), about decorating my NEW office, about starting my new job as a TA, etc, etc,  and I see it again. My future. I see goals and hopes and ambitions and I am going to get them, no matter what. When I'm writing the concluding entries in this years' journal, I will include this moment in the "best of" category.

Funniest moment of the week:
Michael: Do you know how much less fun the game would be if it was called "Hungry Hungry Hippopotamuses?"
(Five minutes of laughter and aborted phrases later)
Valry: Not less fun than if it was called "This Game Sucks."


(Du Hast comes blasting from downstairs)
Valry: "YES!" (finally, something good!)
Michael: "I don't think this song CAN be played any quieter than this."


And, of course, there is this.

What have I been eating lately?
Tuna, pickles, Brownie Crunch cereal ("introductory price" is half of a box Cocoa Puffs)
What have you been eating lately?

Whose style am I crushing on?


Jessica, over at Tart (photo credit to her). This girl lives in Hawaii with her husband, and the two stylish musician-parents are raising an adorable girl in style. Not only does coordinate amazing outfits for herself (and her wee one), but she and her husband do all sorts of incredible DIY projects that will inspire even the most reluctant of homeowners (or renters). I haunt her blog daily!


p.s. The title of today's blog post is the answer to, "How many Russians does it take to load a car carrier."

No comments: