Friday, July 29, 2011

Plus One

Worst moment of the week:
It's no secret that Michael and I are unhappy here. Our classes are extraordinarily difficult, our living situation is hazardous to our health, and we are both in need of a solid vacation. We have been counting down our time left since we arrived here. This week I only managed to make it through because, after this week, I only had two weeks left! Wrong. Last night Michael and I reminded ourselves why we are history majors when we realized that the difference between the 19th of August and the 28th of July is not fourteen days, it is not two weeks. It's three. 


Best moment of the week: *SPOILERS*
I watched the final Harry Potter film and IT DIDN'T DISAPPOINT! I think that it is the best film since the first. The directors adhered very closely to the book, the special effects were very well done indeed, and the acting was the best of all the movies by far. Maggie Smith didn't fail to deliver (ha) what I think was one of the two best lines in the film when she admits to Julie Walters with a girlish giggle, "I've always wanted to use that spell!" The other was, to my surprise, from Emma Watson. When Harry, realizing that he must die in order to defeat Voldemort, is leaving for the forbidden forest, Hermione sobs "I'll go with you!" I've always considered Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson to be the weakest links in the acting chain. Although Emma has always seemed eager to provide a believable performance, it always felt forced, it was always apparent that she was trying to act. But in this movie, and most especially this line, I believed her. And I lost it. 

Funniest moment of the week:
In Russian this week we learned about cars: verbs of driving, steering, stopping, yielding; and nouns: hood, door, battery, engine, wheel. Each section of vocabulary is followed by discussion questions which helps us to learn to use these words in their necessary conjugated/declined forms. The first question asked "What do you put in the trunk?" Nearly the entire class (including our instructor) said "corpse." 

What have I been eating lately?
Various Safeway deli salads, Peanut M&Ms, and Yakisoba "ramen."
What have you been eating lately?

Whose style am I crushing on?
Alsu! I don't have any pictures, unfortunately, so I will have to use my words. Alsu is easily 5'8" without heals, a size 0, with flawless, creamy skin, bright blue eyes, and abundant black curls. She wears the same jewelry daily - a silver ring with a red stone and a beautiful butterfly necklace (I hate butterflies, but this is a stunning pendant). She almost always wears jeans, but sometimes she wears slacks. All are low-rise boot cut. Her tops are all fitted and flattering. Today she wore dark wash denim with whiskering on the front and a beautifully screened white shirt (the lettering was red and gold, very thin and cursive). She is undeniably hip, and with her figure, she always looks good. That is not to say that tall, slender people are the most beautiful, most especially because many of the tall, slender people we see in the media are not naturally so, and thus look unhealthy. But she is naturally dainty (albeit tall), and I have a soft spot for all things elegant. 

No comments: