Friday, March 5, 2010

Sickness

* All in all, a boring, miserable week. But I am very much looking forward to the future, and hope that, for the first time since I started blogging, I will actually have some interesting things to write about! Here's a brief list of things I've got planned with my sister/bro-in-law:

* Hiking
* Watching Disney movies
* Stationary-bike Races at the gym in the SUB
* fish and chips on the coast

* One more week plus finals and this quarter is over. TWO MORE WEEKS until I have roommates! YAY!

* I made two delightful discoveries:
1) A new brand of hummus at Super One which isn't an assault on the taste buds.
2) How to make said hummus taste almost-delicious: cinnamon.

* I woke up at 2:30 last Friday morning with the most severe pain in my throat. It was only one spot, it felt like someone had burned it with a cigarette. I reflexively sat up and gulped down some water, then felt good enough to exchange a few texts with Adam (who has the charming habit of sending me flattering and inappropriate text messages when he's been drinking, and only ever after 1 a.m.), then fell asleep (though not before reaching up to brush my hair off my face only to discover that said hair was actually a bug. Iewsickpanic. Flickflickshudderiew.). I woke up the next morning and my entire throat was sore and my nose was stuffy. Fortunately, a week later, I can happily share that it was not a repeat of last year's Cold from Hell (which, apparently, I never blogged about - it was dreadful) but was a mild cold which I was able to survive with hot tea and only a few sips of cold medicine. And lots of tissues. To be honest, my nose got the worst end of the deal, it'll be a few days before the chapping goes away.

* Despite being sick and intentionally keeping myself up as late as possible to distract myself from being sad I have been waking up at about 7 a.m. every single morning. I cannot tell you how delighted I am to be back on a normal schedule. I am an early-to-bed, early-to-rise kind of lady, and I have no doubt that part of the reason I've been so much more depressed this year than the last few is because my sleep schedule's been a bit off. Sleeping past 8:00 is sleeping-in to me, and it really upsets me for some reason. I've felt (and been) much more productive and feeling a lot happier now that I'm up before 8. Unfortunately I have a sneaking suspicion that this will all be messed up again when Katherine and Chuck move in, as they are my polar opposites when it comes to study and sleep habits. I will try to be flexible and accommodating. :)

* I've been having a pretty rough time the last few months, but have really succeeded in keeping my spirits up (well, relative to the incredible amount of pain I'm in). My reward for surviving yesterday (not only surviving, but managing to have a happy evening!) was to get some beautifully affectionate texts from Adam (nothing lewd, and at a reasonable hour no less!) and an invitation to a party from my mate Anthony. Of course, being the non-social Marine child that I am, I was entirely confused about what the hell time he wanted me to actually show up, and by the time it was established I'm pretty sure he regretted mentioning it at all. The problem I have is that I hold the strictest belief that if I am not at least 15 minutes early (for anything) then I am late. That makes it a real challenge when someone tells me that a party is at 9, but won't be "poppin" until 10. Do I show up at 8:45? or 9:45? We finally reached a compromise whereby I would leave my apartment at exactly 9:00 tonight and walk speedily to his house across campus, with an ETA of 9:20. He said I "over thought" the entire thing, but....well, that's just me. People think I'm so weird, but that's not fair. I'm not any weirder than anyone else, my weirdness just manifests itself in a slightly-less-common way. I mean...some people like to stick their tongues into other people's ears the first time they hang out. And some people need an exact time in order to show up to a casual party. :)


Self Medication (not safe for work):

2 comments:

Dolly said...

"People think I'm so weird, but that's not fair. I'm not any weirder than anyone else, my weirdness just manifests itself in a slightly-less-common way." Love you!

V^e said...

Haha, well it's TRUE! People just need to fuck off and let me be myself!