Monday, October 12, 2009

Meteorologist, I'm calling BS.

I'd like to take a moment to do what everyone has done, does regularly, or will do at some point in their life: call bullshit on the weather"man."

Last week the high temps ranged from 43 to 53 degrees. The lows were in the thirties. Today was a high of "43 degrees." Today's High temperature sure felt a helluva lot colder than last weeks low temperatures. I don't own a thermometer, so I have no way of definitively proving-wrong weather.com, "acuweather" or the national weather service's reported temperatures. But I do have some evidence to back my argument.

1) The ONLY weather station for basically the entire pacific northwest (unless you're on the coast) is in Pendleton, Oregon. For those of you who are not familiar with the geography of the Pacific Northwest, you can do a 45-second geography lesson using google maps. Select "get directions" and type in "Pendleton, OR" and "Ellensburg, WA." It's approximately a 3 hour drive from point to the other. That's like telling someone in San Francisco what to wear based on a weather report from...some place three hours away. Think it doesn't make that big of a difference? You're wrong.
2) Last week I was wearing a tshirt and jeans, and a single-button corduroy jacket with a scarf. Last week I was somewhat chilled until I got about 1/4 of a mile to campus and I got my blood flowing. Today I wore: thick socks, hiking boots, a big puffy parka, and gloves. Today my nose was running, my ears were about to shatter off my head, and it took me 15 minutes to get feeling back into my fingers once I was in class. Also, since this week I'm PMSing, my core body temp is higher than it normally would be. SO:

Hot flashes PLUS big parka PLUS gloves SHOULD EQUAL Overheating.
Hot flashes PLUS big parka PLUS gloves DOES NOT EQUAL freezing me arse off and, therefore, does not equal 43 degrees.

I don't have it down to an exact science (yet) but when I FEEL cold even when I'm walking (I walk at a really smart pace - about a mile in eleven minutes, standard "forced march" pace) I know that it's not above 40 degrees.

I guess I could have shortened this entire post to: the weather station is 150 miles away in a desert: I live on the western slopes of the cascade mountains.

1 comment:

K6LSN said...

Thats hella true and funny! Sorry, heres a cool weather thing you can put right on your blog as a gadget and click it for a forecast. Looks like there are 3 stations in Ellensburg. Anyway, Take care...

http://www.wunderground.com/geo/BannerPromo/US/WA/Ellensburg.html