Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The FINAL final countdown.

Petition granted*, application for graduation accepted: degree checkout being processed.

As of December 11, 2009 I am officially done with my bachelor's degree. It's been a great three years, a bit rough at times, but ultimately successful, rewarding, and empowering.

As I've been busy with school and other things, I have not yet been able to actively seek/apply to jobs. Tomorrow intend to (work up the nerve to) ask professors tomorrow if I can use them as references. I'm pretty sure they'll enthusiastically acquiesce, but it terrifies me to burden others. It must be done, however, so that I can start applying to these jobs. Ideally I'd get a job which would start the second week of January. This would give me plenty of time to relocate and settle into my new surroundings (and hopefully relax for a few days) before I start working.

My lease for my current apartment is up at the end of December*, giving me plenty of time post-finals week to pack up my things and move out. Since most of the housing options I've looked at are furnished bedrooms, I will really only have to move my close and a few personal items, which will probably make it the least stressful move in my lifetime. I am not sure if I will be nervous about all of this. Right now it's a bit too far off, so I can't gauge my feelings. But once it's more imminent, I'm not sure if I'll be nervous. I'll be celebrating my graduation (and REA's!!!!!!), enjoying the holidays, saying goodbye to everyone, and being generally felicitous and busy, so I won't have much time to think about it. I am really prepared (psychologically!) for the transition, and really excited about the prospect of living in Southern California. Whatever nerves I may suffer from I imagine will be more from what I think I should be feeling, and not from any actual fears or anxieties. I'm a complex creature, ladies and gentlemen.

*In order to graduate, students must file an application for graduation at the beginning of the term prior to their graduation date. This means that I needed to have applied during the second week of July in order to graduate in December. Since I didn't think I'd be able to finish in December, I didn't file the application, and was required to file a petition to have my application accepted for this quarter. The petition was immediately granted, and my application was processed the day after.

**I spoke to the leasing manager's assistant yesterday about extending my lease. They don't do anything other than 12-month leases here, but her boss wasn't in the office, so she went ahead and extended my lease three months. She had everything ready and had me sign the amended form so that he wouldn't be able to veto her! Ha! While I was waiting, Dan the Maintenance guy came in and we shared a tete-a-tete. He congratulated me on graduation, and said we'd share some beers when I'm through (of course I said he could drink mine for me!). I absolutely LOVE Ellensburg, my school, and my apartment complex. I will be very sad to leave, because (even taking into account my misfortune in April) living here and attending this school has been the most empowering experience of my life.

1 comment:

Tyler and Carisa said...

It's so exciting that you will be done in December!! Transitions are always a bit nerve-racking and full of anxiety - even if they are well planned out and for the best. Just know you have loads of support around you and to not hesitate to ask for help.