Sunday, February 22, 2009

Yikes

So my cousins got in a car accident yesterday. Driving along the freeway (the speed limit in Washington is 70 mph, so my cousin was probably doing about 75) they went off the shoulder onto some loose dirt on an embankment and flipped their minivan....four or five times.

Click to Enlarge:

As you can see, they crashed so hard the windshield wipers - only the flimsy parts - crashed through the windshield. I hate to sound like a physics nerd, but it takes an incredible impact to do that.


They walked away. The youngest had to have a couple of stitches on her elbow, which was presumably cut when the back window exploded on impact, but other than that they were all completely fine. How they are still alive, let alone virtually unscathed, is beyond me. Needless to say, I'm a bit more nervous about driving home today than I usually am!

-- Apparently there were 40 linear feet between the initial impact and the second impact. The van was completely air-born before the second impact.

No comments: