Saturday, January 10, 2009

End of Week One

School
I should graduate by Christmas. While I could graduate in August, it would require me to fill out a ludicrous amount of paperwork (so that I can take extra classes). I enjoy this university and my professors, so I will go ahead and plan to graduate just after I turn 24. I think I have only two more history classes to take in order to complete my major; the rest of the classes are general education requirements and one more class to complete my minor (which I need to apply for).
Classes this quarter: 452 US History 1919-1945; 386 Colonial Latin America; 302 Intro to History; 423 History of the Irish Revolution.
Books: 16 plus 2 course packs.
Schedule: 452 and 386 meet daily for one hour each. 302 meets for an hour and a half Mondays and Wednesdays. 423 meets for two hours Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Major assignments: Book reviews (4), reaction papers (at least 4), research papers (6+ pages; at least 5), essays (at least 2), other written (at least 2). I also have midterms in three classes (an ID quiz and two others, presumably multiple choice but possibly with an essay), and finals include a research paper, an essay, a take-home exam (which must be enormous, as we get more than a week to complete it), and presumably another multiple choice test.

Food
I went grocery shopping yesterday for the first time since October. I hate shopping so much! I'm exhausted from all the studying (I was up until almost midnight TRYING to read but getting nowhere), and it was a real struggle to get what I needed. My schedule requires me to be on campus virtually all day, so I won't have opportunities to cook like I did last quarter. Instead, I will be eating a lot of peanut butter sandwiches.

Other
Since I will be staying in the cold for at least one more winter, I will not be cutting my hair this year. I've been wanting to do it, but will wait until I don't have to worry about snow/sleet/wind ruining my style. Next year, perhaps.
The weather here has been crazy. After hovering around zero degrees for several weeks and snowing several feet, it decided to warm up. Ellensburg was flooded so bad they had to do emergency evacuations. The freeways have had major closures because of run off from the mountain snow (which was like a river over the roads), avalanches, and mudslides. I'm not sure if Snoqualmie Pass (the main east-west interestate) is open. It has been closed almost solidly for the last week. Fortunately I live in an area completely incapable of flooding (short of a Noah's Ark type thing). And I'm in the upper floor apartment! It was a gorgeous week, almost entirely sunshiney and "warm." It's pretty sad, though, that 40 degrees would be warm....

2 comments:

Tyler and Carisa said...

good luck this semester!! Sounds like you are gonna be busy!! How did you meet this boy you are going on a date with?!

Valry said...

Through Myspace. He's not really a boy....he's 34. No need to be wary, I've checked him out as thoroughly as need be, and he's pretty cool. It should be interesting to see how it plays out, that's for sure!