Monday, December 1, 2008

OH MY LORD IT'S COMPULSIVE!

I've decided to come out of the closet as a compulsive applier. I spent approximately 10 months between October of 2007 and July of 2008 applying to Universities. After several devastating setbacks I was finally admitted to the University of Southern California. Unfortunately, I was admitted so late that I couldn't sort out a few would-be-minor problems and ended up coming here to Central Washington instead. I'm completely fine with that decision. School is school. However, as you all know, my history professor decided to feed my addiction to applications by mentioning graduate school. I'm now allowing myself to be sucked once more into the vortex of researching, outlining deadlines, and preparing applications. I'm getting my transfer credits sorted out so that (hopefully) I will complete my bachelors degree by August and can begin the masters program here at Central by September. I will spend the Christmas break studying for my GRE, applying for financial aid and scholarships, and prepping my application and letter of intent. The priority deadline is March 1st.

Of course I will get to do this again next year when I apply to USC once more in an attempt to join their history PhD program. I found out this morning that one does not need a masters degree in order to begin working on the doctorate degree. Unfortunately today is also the deadline to apply. BOLLOCKS! No matter, though, I have a lot of other things I need to do before I start working on my Ph.D.Mainly, there is a language requirement. I have to be fluent in two (2) foreign languages!! CWU waives the foreign language requirement if you took two successive years of foreign language in high school, so I hadn't even planned to bother with it. Now, of course, I'm forced to start studying language. It's weird that I'll have to apply to my PhD program only a few months after applying to my Masters program. I'll begin working on my app for USC right after I enter grad school. Ooooooh the rush! The delightful, horrid rush!

No comments: