Saturday, December 6, 2008

Fried Steak REDEMPTION!

So after my fiasco with stew meat yesterday (so gross I had to pick out every piece and throw it away. Seriously...gross) I decided to try my hand at meat again. I don't eat a lot of meat (I'm not against it, it's just kind of expensive and I prefer potatoes and pasta) so I obviously don't cook it very often. I am an absolutely MASTER of pot roast (I hate to toot my own horn, but I am the greatest pot roast maker that ever lived) but that's about it. Well, I had a pack of cube steak in the freezer and didn't know what it was for, so I looked it up and that's what you use to make chicken-fried steak. I don't like chicken-fried steak. I think it's gross. But if there are two things I love it's breading and deep-fried foods. SO.....with a bit of experimentation (okay, so I created my own breading entirely and included a secret ingredient to make the breading EXTRA EXTRA crispy, because I'm also a master of frying things) and half an hour (I'm not kidding - thirty solid minutes) of tenderizing the cube steaks with a fork I ended up with the best chicken-fried steak I've ever eaten. I cannot wait to cook some for my dad. He used to make it when we were kids and I never liked it because I thought the texture was disgusting (cub/round steak is so tough and nasty) and just an all around boring food. Not that it had anything to do with dad's cooking skills - he's amazing. Anyway, I made three steaks and some biscuits and I'm absolutely thrilled with my dinner. I MAY possibly share my recipe with those who are interested, but you have to prove to me that you're a hardcore chicken-fried steak eater, or else I won't share my secret ingredient (which will transform every breaded, fried product you make into the most crispy and delicious breaded, fried product you have ever made).

Conclusion: I am just awesome.

2 comments:

Tyler and Carisa said...

I can honestly say I've never eaten chicken fried steak... but I love meat - so I must therefore find out how you made it!

Valry said...

Well it's really fairly simple, and since the cut of meat is so cheap it's a pretty good meal to have when you're not fabulously rich. You just buy cub steak (which is cut thin), tenderize the heck out of it, bread it, and fry it. I'll post my recipe at some point after I've showered. I am so filthy I'm practically radioactive. You could scrape the grime off my body and convert it into an alternative fuel source. I love being single and living alone!