Thursday, October 30, 2008

Not-So Awkward Moment of the Day, Episode 3

Interesting new development in the Hot Lit Prof situation:

I was so disappointed this morning because I'd wanted to print off a copy of my book review and ask him to read it (which would allow me to introduce myself, break the tension, and give me a few minutes walking down the hall with him) but didn't finish proofing it in time. So I just wandered to class and - much to my surprise, as I left late - I made it to the building early. I was thrilled and waiting anxiously for him to come out (or else for the students to leave so I could go in). Well, he came out this time. There's a large pillar in front of the doorway (screwy architecture in this building), and he has always walked through it nearest the classroom (essentially "away from me" as I'm standing against the wall opposite). But this morning as he left he walked AROUND the pillar, toward me. He was inches away from me, and he kept seriously catching my eye. At one point another student directed his attention away from me, but he kind of.....dragged his gaze away as he turned, know what I mean?

Of course the more I think about it the less certain I am about this whole "glad eye" thing. I think at this point it's almost a challenge for us to look at each other. Neither of us knows what the other is thinking, and it's kind of a test of our mettle to look up when the other is around. HAHA!

1 comment:

Tyler and Carisa said...

Val - you crack me up... I love how you write out the entire scene... it's so vivid it's like i am watching it happen right in front of me.