Sunday, July 27, 2008

Sunday Roast - Update

Everyone loves a good pot roast, am I right?

In my family, it's religion.

Every Sunday for about 10 years we ate beef roast on Sundays. A handful of times (literally) we were treated to roasted chicken instead. I got really sick of roast after a few years. Yes, it did take me a few years, which speaks quite highly of my dad's culinary skills. Nevertheless, it did happen, and for many a year now our Sundays have been roastless. Sure, we would occasionally go to my grandparents, where they would have roast beef (no seasoning, none, and it is almost always over cooked), or we'd have a random chuck roast here and there. But it wasn't until recently that we resurrected the practice.Regardless of which poor creature was being cooked, one thing was for certain: It was roasted. There's a reason behind the Sunday pot roast tradition, particularly for Mormon families. LDS services last for three hours. That excludes driving time, talking time, and choir practice. Most families prefer to have more than grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner, but obviously don't want to come home starving and have to spend an hour cooking. Pot roasts take several hours (usually over three) to cook. One can simply season the roast and throw it in the oven on his/her way out the door, and by the time they get home they have a perfect roast.


Our roasts, however, have gotten a bit interesting. For example, a few months ago I took Younger Sister to have a relatively minor medical procedure. While I was waiting for her I was flipping through "Cottage Living" magazine when I stumbled upon a recipe for pot roast. Normally I would not have bothered to look at it, as I am pretty much convinced that there isn't a better roast than the ones my dad makes. HOWEVER, being a family of eclectics, I do like to try new versions of old things.

SO, today, with great anxiety and excitement, I am cooking a Moroccan Pot Roast. While I am short a few ingredients, and bypassed a few of the other suggestions (like pouring broth over the roast - something I would NEVER ever do), I am on the edge of my seat and counting down the hours until I get to try this insane concoction of deliciousness. Aside from the obvious beef round, this recipe includes, but is not limited to: cilantro, apricots, cumin, paprika, and cinnamon. There were a few ingredients I would not bother putting in (like raisins) and a few we didn't have (fresh garlic, though I used dried, minced garlic, carrots, over which I am heartbroken, and chickpeas.....damn, those are so good, and would be an excellent substitute for potatoes). However, the roast was seasoned quite beautifully and I am more than ready to dig in as soon as it is done!


UPDATE:

Amazing.

No comments: