Friday, July 25, 2008

Ode to The Guy Laughing Really Audibly From the Sitcom Audience

A few months ago I discovered that episodes of Home Improvement are shown on TBS for two hours every afternoon. That's four episodes daily. My family watched the show compulsively when it was still on the air, but I've never caught more than a random episode at a time for the last ten years or so.

I'm no stranger to sitcoms. Home Improvement wasn't the first nor the last. In fact, I've recently started watching two episodes of What I Like About You daily with Younger Sister. My current favorite is The Big Bang Theory.

Sitcoms are delightfully formulaic. You don't have to analyze anything that goes on. You just get to sit back and allow yourself to be entertained. Aside from the witty banter, the obvious struggle of the actors to maintain straight faces while they wait for the audience members' laughter to die down enough to make their next comments audible, and the ever-popular cityscape backdrop, my absolute FAVORITE part of sitcoms is the one guy in the audience who laughs louder than everyone in the entire studio. This man (and yes, it is always a man) can be heard after the most obvious jokes. His percussive laughter punctuates the giggles of the crowd.

I would like to take the time to thank this man (or men, rather) where ever he is/they are. You are the reason I watch sitcoms.

No comments: